Tuesday was another lab day in the first year seminar. In 75 minutes, we introduced the students to wikis, blog readers (in the form of bloglines), RSS, Tagging and social bookmarking (in the form of del.icio.us). In retrospect, I have to say it was a bit much. At the end of the class the students had that deer-in-the-headlights look.
I wondered if we overdid it. To check that, I emailed a quick survey to the class asking if they found the session:
a. A bit overwhelming,
b. Not overwhelming,
c. Not sure.
The results were 8/2/3 with one not responding. Upon reflection, I decided that the fact that most found it overwhelming was not in and of itself a problem. We did, in fact, dump a whole lot of new stuff on them. The question is how they will handle it.
To address this concern, I spent the first five minutes today talking about Tuesday’s class, pointing out that I also found it a bit overwhelming. Then I pointed out that this was the kind of thing that one learns by doing and that I expected they would pick it up fairly quickly as we began using the tools. And I believe they will.